Wednesday, May 26, 2010

LA zoo and a promise

About three weeks ago, Erik friend Rachel very nicely asked me if she, Elliot and Erik could all go to the zoo. I told her a strong yes, but the timing never seemed right to make it. My nap schedule is really hard to navigate, we have been sick, and life just gets in the way. Well spur of the moment I decided that today we would go. Right now we have landscapers working all over our yard only giving us inside space to play and soon it will be summer and the zoo will no longer be an option. So today we went.



I really love going places with Michelle and Rachel. They are becoming our really good friends and I love talking to Michelle, and while Erik and Rachel are each other's favorite people. One of the nicest things about having a good friend to play with is tag teaming that goes on. Here is an example of what happened today and why I love them being around.

The kids were pretty wild today at the zoo. I am pretty sure Erik and Rachel were feeding off of each other's energy and were running around excited to get to the next exhibit and just happy to be outside enjoying this beautiful day.


Well I forgot to strap Elliot into his stroller and I think he got inpatient while we stopped and started climbing out the bottom. It was pretty hard to maneuver him out because my new stroller doesn't have a front tray that detaches very easily. At this exact moment Erik started running toward the next exhibit in the middle of a group of kids. This is a situation where I am constantly torn lately. One child needs my immediate help and the other is closer to danger. Michelle is great help because he chases after Erik for me while I rescued Elliot.



I think we are a great team and all our children really respond to each other and likes spending time with each of us. So it really is a good match for me anyway by having some extra hands while we are out and about. Besides Erik and Rachel always follow each other and are together almost every second so it is a natural fit.



We are both really working on discipline and I am trying to get Erik to listen and roam a little less. He was doing really well the whole day, but when you add the enticement of ice cream the training gets even better. If Erik ran too far or didn't listen he wouldn't get his ice cream. Well anytime he start running off today and I told him to stop he did. We had an excellent listening day and an excellent visit to the zoo. There were some hiccups and boo boo, but when you end the day like this, life couldn't be better.



Today wasn't mamaless since Michelle so nicely offered to take our picture. Yay for capturing a great day and a fun and successful outing. I always know when we spend the day with Michelle it will be a mostly successful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.