Friday, May 14, 2010

Lake Balboa

So we are still sick, still! I have been trying to find remote places for my boys to go where they won't get more sick or get other children sick. Today was a plus and fail. We went to story time in the morning and both the boys thought it was the best thing ever. Actually one of my favorite Elliot moment's from recent history happened today.

As soon as we sat down for story time Elliot crawled out to the middle of the floor fascinated by all the other kids and attentively listening. Well he started to look around and I knew he was looking for me, but he wasn't in a panic so I left him alone. Erik was sitting on my lap so I didn't want to disturb his cozy spot and called Elliot's name so he could find me, he didn't hear. Well after looking and listening for a while he finally spots us. He gets the biggest, happiest grin on his face and turbo crawls to us. It just made my heart melt to see him light up to find his mommy when he was obviously not upset, it was like he was very proud of himself for finding me and excited!

I didn't bring my camera to story time so no pictures today, but I do have another tale to tell. Elliot is teething very badly and not napping very well. Today he was up at 5:50 am which is early for him and there was no chance of him going back to bed. His morning nap was only an hour and his afternoon nap was only 1.5 hours which is not enough for my little guy. He like to take 3-4 hours of naps a day. He is teething and I think it is messing with his napping. So at 2:30 I unsuccessfully tried to get him to down for a third nap and it didn't take and Erik woke up so I just didn't have the time to work on it. Also his rocking chair isn't working right which kind of made it harder today. So basically I knew he needed another nap, so on the road we went. Poor Erik barely woke up and went potty before I whisked them out the door for our adventure.

Here is Erik barely awake and tolerating the fact that I put him in the car.



I usually have this route around Burbank and North Hollywood I drive to get Elliot to sleep. We pass trains, airplanes and of course lots of cars, but I was sick of that drive and wanted to do something new so we headed towards Hansen's Dam because I thought they would like water. The area is a little sketchy and there was no where to hike that seemed too kid and mommy friendly so we drove through, Elliot finally passed out and I needed a new destination.


I remembered that I wanted to always check out Lake Balboa and heard it is a great place to take the kids so we headed over. It took me a while to find it and I took a wrong turn toward the Japanese Gardens and Wildlife Area, places to check out soon, but it was totally fine because Erik loves looking at cars and talking to mommy and Elliot needed that extra 15 minutes of sleep.

We finally arrive and Erik is thrilled, but confused. He kept saying he has his bathing suit on so he can go swimming. It took him a while to figure out that we just look at this lake and will not be going swimming. He was good though and only looked and never touched.






We had to get some duck shots for daddy.


Erik saw lots of bird and even chased a few. Mommy did make a mistake. He got a little too close to the geese and I told him to be careful because they were honking at us and they might bite us. He then got afraid all birds were going to bite us. Quickly I pointed out it was just the geese and he actually got it, and started pointing out just the geese.



Of course as it drew close to 5 pm and we had to head home for dinner the resistance started. Erik sat on a bench and when we were looking at these pictures tonight before bed I asked him to tell me about his time today. Well come to find out he told me he sat on that bench because he wanted to "go the other way" meaning not towards the car. Also, typical Erik crawl when he doesn't want to go home.



Also, I really wanted to take pictures of Elliot, but he was on my back in the ergo the entire time and he never touched the ground. It was a look only day for him and I haven't figured out how to take pictures of him back there yet..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.