Monday, May 24, 2010

A Trip To The Farm

This morning one of the mom's from our Thursday 2 year old class, organized a trip to Underwood Farms. This is a place I have been meaning to go to for months/years. As Elliot got older the harder I thought this trip would be, the more I wanted to wait until he could walk. Well when it was a planned trip and not just me deciding to go, I had to say yes. Besides it is a 30-40 minute drive which gives Elliot a chance to nap in the car. Granted it is a short morning nap for a guy who likes to sleep for 2 hours, but he definitely is making up for it this afternoon.

So this trip was a bit of a challenge like I suspected. I am getting tastes of what it feels like to have two walking toddlers. My attention is constantly being pulled in three directions, Erik, Elliot and photography. At one point we were in a park with Erik's classmates and I left Elliot on a fence standing, Erik playing with the feed and ran to get my camera. Forget about my bags which anyone could take because I am completely distracted.




Besides feeling like I was constantly battling between where Erik wanted to go, needing freedom to roam and meeting the needs of Elliot we did have a fun time. This is probably Elliot's dream field trip because he gets to just ride in a wagon. I have decided that if Elliot could be in a stroller or wagon for hours a day walking he would be completely content. The first time I took him out of the wagon he got so angry and threw a fit. Of course by the end he was climbing out, but what do you expect of a 13 month old.




Right now Elliot constantly wants to walk holding my hands. I was a little unprepared for this and only put him in socks and this place was full of wood chips. What kind of mom of two would I be if I didn't forget something? So he is constantly standing, cruising, and trying to play and be a part of the big kids. None of the other children had younger siblings so Elliot was on his own and stood up just fine to all the big kids. I guess it helps when you big brother is a bit of a bully and wrestler at times.



At Underwood Farms Erik got to go on his second pony ride, the first being over 7 months ago. All of his friends were going and I couldn't deny him the pleasure even though I suspected he would be afraid and want to get off. He stood in line with all of his friend anxious to get on announcing his name to the ticket collector and he was the first to get on a pony in his exuberance. As I suspected once he was put on the pony and moving he was a little unsure of the whole thing. Parents were not allowed in, which made me think this might go badly. The staff there must have a lot of experience with upset toddlers because one of the girls noticed right away that Erik was unhappy and stepped right up to stand by him and talk to him. I saw him saying lots of things to this girl so she definitely settled him down. I wouldn't say he enjoyed his ride, but he wasn't upset or scared as much as when he was alone.







In all this fun of new activities for Erik, balancing two toddlers and our first trip to the farm, I can't forget the pictures of just playing because that is what Erik does best. Here are some of his favorite places at Underwood Farms today.











Grandma doesn't realize it yet, but this place is half way between her house and ours so I have a very good feeling we might ask her to meet up there in the morning a few times this summer. Besides I really could use another hand chasing two toddlers at this place and focus more attention on each child.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.