Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day weekend

I have to give my heart to Carl this weekend. He definitely made this weekend about me and about giving me space to do things that I wanted to do. Too bad it isn't this way every weekend, but regardless I really enjoyed it and appreciate the most valuable thing Carl could give me right now, time. Although he also gave me a great book and spa gift certificate for mother's day so he totally wins for the weekend.

We had marvelous plans for this weekend, but with two sick kids and one who needed breathing treatments all our plans were put on hold and we spent the weekend at home. I was a little disappointed because I really needed some time out of the house and some time doing something, anything else since we have already been stuck at home sick since last weekend.



This is after a full Saturday of all 3 boys being home and having fun. Our playroom gets to be total toy chaos and I am pretty sure I cleaned this room not an hour before this picture.

The biggest present Carl gave me was yesterday, an amazing hour to myself. The computer was down, I was exhausted with lack of sleep and I totally didn't know what to do with myself. I actually laid down and watched a tv show and just enjoyed a little quiet in my house since Carl stole my car. Where did the boys go? Well a trip to the library for more books! I think the books were rather appropriate, right?



The end of Saturday Erik was breathing and feeling better, and although Elliot is developing a runny nose, he still has all his energy and more to spare so we spend the afternoon, wrestling and playing computer games. My favorite is Elliot watching his brother play a video game and the look of intensity on his face. I am pretty sure Elliot is going to be very very smart one day, very smart!


The scariest part of that day was Elliot growing up, right before my eyes. He finally got the nerve and climbed all the stairs in our house. His brother demonstrated how to do it, and was much quicker, but after a few tries, Elliot was an old pro. I do have to say I need to keep my eyes on this guy! Today the gate was closed and he opened it himself and came upstairs to visit me and daddy who were upstairs for just a second. Crossing myself because Elliot wasn't hurt during the maneuver. Sometimes I really dislike my two-story house.



Today was just as boring and memorable all at the same time. We spend a lazy Sunday at home and then mommy went out for her mani/pedi and time to herself during the boys naps. Or what I thought was naptime until I got home and Erik was still awake. Daddy has trouble putting down Erik for a naps and I need to respect that a little more if I want my little guy to sleep.

After Elliot woke up from his nap we had a snack and headed out to Lincoln Park, the perfect park for babies. I really wanted to make sure Elliot could get in some good playtime today. Oh I forgot to mention one of the most exciting moments from this morning. Elliot actually started lunging for me today. He was standing not holding anything then he took one baby step and fell towards mommy. He did that 3 times today so definitely no fluke. We might have a walker soon!!

So along the line of walking, Elliot actually used one of the walking toys and strolled around half the park today using that toy. Not bad for a boy who just learned how to use that toy last week.



There was swinging of course and Erik asking daddy to push him really high. Erik absolutely adores the swings.



Then there is the climbing. Both my boys are big climbers lately. Erik was climbing all over the planters and smelling the flowers and Elliot was climbing on the blocks in the playground.


We ended the evening with mom's choice of dinner, sushi. This was tons of fun because they had the practice chop stick for Erik, and Erik has been working all week trying to figure out how to use chop sticks. It was fun to see him learn and figure out how to use them.



Elliot also tried out the chop sticks, but they ended up on the floor more than they should. Elliot is really into the drop game right now and takes great pleasure in that. We did discover that he loves edaname and ate half the bowl, no surprise for my veggie lover.


Dinner of course ended with Erik watching Bernstein Bears on the iPhone, but I couldn't blame the guy this time. I mean he didn't take a nap today and it was past 6 when we were finished with dinner. He was very tired and it definitely showed in his behavior at the end of dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.